NATIONALITIES : French and Guatemalan
DATE AND PLACE
OF BIRTH : September 11th, 1981
2006-2007 : Masters in European Business Law (equivalent of Masters of Law degree)
Université Panthéon – Assas Paris II, under the direction of Mr. Louis Vogel, President:
-Master Specialized in Competition Law and Trade Regulation.
-Masters Thesis: a study of the latest cases dealing with the abuse of dominant positions and cartels in the European Union and France.
2005-2006 : Masters in Business Law (equivalent of Juris Doctor degree)
Université Panthéon – Assas Paris II.
2004-2005 : Private Law Degree (equivalent of Bachelor of Arts degree)
Université Panthéon- Assas Paris II.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE :
October 2007 – March 2008 : Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, Paris, France
Internship in the International Arbitration Department.
Worked mainly in English, but also in Spanish, French and Portuguese in the following cases:
- Arbitration under the rules of the ICC regarding a major European technology company against Brazilian and French/Indian companies in a multi-contract construction dispute :
- Drafted notes regarding construction contracts, especially turnkey contracts;
-Conducted extensive research on steel pricing and organized documents such as correspondence between the parties;
-Conducted document review and classification for filing memorials.
- Arbitration under ICSID rules against Argentina, commenced by an European investor in the energy sector:
-Conducted research on the financial structure of the transaction under dispute and on the representations made by the host state prior to the investment.
- Arbitration under ICSID rules against state of Ecuador, regarding foreign investment in the energy sector:
-Conducted extensive research regarding the economy of the host state covering the privatization period and the policies of the Washington Consensus;
-Conducted extensive research on energy export tax laws in the host state and a comparison with Latin American governments implementing the similar questionable measures.
- Arbitration under the rules of the ICC regarding Europe’s energy supply, involving Spain and Algeria:
-Drafted a memorandum on Spanish gas market from 2003 to 2006, covering natural gas pricing, the structure of the market, indexation of the natural gas price to the Brent index, structure of gas contracts, effects of the liberalization of the Spanish energy market;
-Reviewed and classified documentation regarding the Spanish gas market.
- In charge of the daily Latin American press review on Argentina.
March – May 2007 : FIDAL, Direction Internationale, Brussels, Belgium
Internship in European Business Law (with a focus on European competition, internal market and distribution law). Under the supervision of Maître Frédéric Puel and Maître Laurent François-Martin, attorneys specializing in European competition law, internal markets and distribution:
- Represented clients before European institutions such as the European Commission.
- Aided in editing and publishing the legal newsletter Vigie Europe/European Legal Watch.
January – May 2006 : Cabinet Weissberg-Gaetjens-Ziegenfeuter & associés, Paris, France
Internship under the supervision of Maître Weissberg, attorney specializing in business law, practicing in France and in the United States of America:
- Drafted legal memorandum (in international contracts and in labor law).
- Conducted correspondence with attorneys specializing in international business.
- Drafted legal motions, in matters pertaining to economic decisions.
- Translated legal briefs (from French to English, from French to Spanish).
June – August 2005 : Denver District Court, Criminal Division, Denver, Colorado, USA
Internship under the supervision of Judge Michael A. Martinez and of Judge Christina Habbas:
- Assisted the Judges with pre-trial settings, motion hearings, and criminal trials at the felony level.
- Observed one of the largest felony Sexual Assault trials in Denver, with five Co-defendants.
- Completed a comparative analysis of the differences between the French and American criminal system, and conducted research in civil and criminal procedural matters.
August – September 2004 : Rivera y Asociados, Guatemala, C.A, Guatemala City, Guatemala
Internship under the supervision of Mr. Rivera and Mr. Camacho, attorneys specializing in banking and business law:
- Researched local legal issues.
- Assisted attorneys in court appearances and in negotiations among commercial enterprises.
2007- Vigie Europe/European Legal Watch
Legal newsletter published by FIDAL International on European business law with emphasis on competition law and the internal market,
Main subjects addressed:
State aids, authorization for European mergers, European policies on antitrust fines, sanctions for cartels, homogenization of financial service markets in the European Union, analysis of anticompetitive monopolies. See European Legal Watch, n° 162, 163, 164 and 165.
- Researched local legal issues.
- Authored several articles.
- Responsible for monitoring current developments in European corporate matters.
2007 - Legal review “Concurrences”
- Member of the editing team.
- Verified the accuracy of legal citations.
LANGUAGE & COMPUTER SKILLS :
Legal research, and proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
Member of the International Center for Dispute Resolution Young and International (ICDR Y&I).
Member of the YIAG of the London Court of international Arbitration.
EXTRA-PROFESSIONNAL ACTIVITIES :
Organizations : Vice-president and member of the Masters Think Tank at Université Panthéon – Assas Paris II.
Abroad residency : Lived for periods of over one year in the following countries:
Mexico, Brazil, El Salvador, Guatemala, Switzerland, France.
Lived for periods of periods less than one year in the following countries:
England, USA, Belgium.
Personal : English boxing: competition level for five years and a half, trained by Halim Abidi (World contender in several organizations).